A request under the Freedom of Information Act to Worcestershire County Council for a list of mainstream primary and secondary schools in the county with facilities for the visually impaired drew the following response:
The following provision is available for visually impaired children within the home, Early Years settings and in all LEA maintained schools in Worcestershire.
• Teaching and advisory support from Qualified Teachers of the Visually Impaired
• Support and on-going assessment support from a mobility teacher
• Support from trained Teaching Assistants as required
• Support from a Low Vision Aid Consultant
• Provision of specialist equipment eg CCTV, lap top computers
• Provision of touch typing tuition
• Provision of low vision aids as required
• Provision of holiday Hands on Skills Clubs
This support will be tailored to meet the needs of the individual child and will be reviewed on a regular basis.
The service operates a “Team around the Child” “Team around the School” approach to its provision for visually impaired children